The Wright Group is pleased to announce that we brought the buyer for this exceptional property. This offering represents a rare opportunity to own one of Thomasville’s finest Plantation Estates. The original property was purchased in 1825 and utilized as a working cotton plantation until the 1890s and the height of Thomasville’s Resort Era.
In 1896 the property was purchased by Howard Melville Hanna. Under his ownership, the acreage was greatly increased and the property was developed to accommodate family and guests as a private recreational and hunting retreat. It is during this time period that the house and grounds were transformed into estate that exists today. These improvements included the additions and improvements to the main residence, stables, dairies, five guest lodges, poolhouse, formal gardens, the famous “Showboat”, and numerous other outbuildings, and paddocks.
Today Coalson Plantation (named after the original owner) elegantly recreates the luxurious lifestyle in the form of a resort. The main house has been painstakingly restored over the years with careful attention being given to the preservation of its architectural integrity. The stables, barns, and associated outbuildings were built in the popular brick, Georgian style.
In 1934, the poolhouse was constructed and represents an architectural marvel, complete with glass roof and pecky cypress walls and ceilings. Mature plantings, oak and magnolia avenues, formal English gardens, and reflecting pools further contribute to the setting and detailing of this exceptional property. This property has great potential is its versatility, making it well suited as a resort, corporate retreat, private medical facility, development, or single family adaptations. Please call listing office for details.